Home > Boards > Free Zone > Welcome to InvestorsHub > The Question and Answer Board (IHUB)

Wow, I wish "not quite yet" always meant

Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgReplies (1) | Next 10 | Previous | Next
Bob Zumbrunnen Member Profile
 Grandfathered Member
Followed By 209
Posts 7,922
Boards Moderated 15
Alias Born 05/24/01
160x600 placeholder
Pinterest Shares Rise After Bloomberg Report of Potential Sale to PayPal
By Dave Sebastian
Bitcoin Miner Stronghold Digital Mining Surges in Trading Debut
U.S. Ethanol Production Hits Pandemic High
U.S. Crude Oil Inventories Unexpectedly Decline
First Wave BioPharma Shares Rise 16% After FDA Letter
Anthem Up Over 6%, on Pace for Record High Close -- Data Talk
Existing Home Sales on the Docket -- Data Week Ahead
Italy Sells EUR5 Billion in 2045 Green BTP Tap, Gets Robust Demand - Update
Top Company News of the Day
Quest Diagnostics to Provide Covid-19 School Testing Services in Texas
VC Daily: Early-Stage Cyber Deals Lag. Are Lofty Valuations the Reason?
F-star Therapeutics Shares Up 9% Premarket After Janssen Biotech Deal
Waller Says Fed Could Move Forward Rate Rises; Bundesbank's Weidmann to Step Down; China Flooding a Risk for Digital Currency
Lloyds to Close Additional 48 Branches in England, Wales
NextEra Energy 3Q Profit Falls as Expenses Rise
Abbott Raises Full-Year Earnings Guidance
Stealth BioTherapeutics Gets Refusal to File Letter From FDA For Elamipretide
Abbott Labs 3Q Earnings Rise as Covid-19 Testing Lifts Diagnostics Business
Biogen 3Q Results Beat Expectations; Alzheimer's Drug Aduhelm Posts Sales of $300,000
Biogen Raises Full-Year Guidance
VectivBio Gets FDA Clearance for IND of Apraglutide
Italy Sells EUR5 Billion in 2045 Green BTP Tap, Gets Robust Demand
Fall in UK Inflation Isn't Likely to Prevent a Rate Hike in the Short-Term
Stocks Drift as Earnings Roll Call Offers Mixed Results-
North American Morning Briefing: Stock Futures Waver Ahead of Big Tech Earnings
Falck Renewables Shares Soar as JPMorgan-Backed Investor to Buy Company
UK Watchdog Fines Facebook GBP50.5 Million Over Giphy Merger Breach
Rio Tinto Accelerates Carbon Targets While Pivoting Toward Growth - Update
Bob Zumbrunnen  Grandfathered Member Tuesday, 05/06/03 11:11:54 AM
Re: WTMHouston post# 23807
Post # of 199386 
Wow, I wish "not quite yet" always meant just a couple days. <g>

Sometimes it does. <bigger grin>

#msg-979280

On a slightly different note, and this is more a convenience thing than a bug, when replying to PMs, the submit/arc and submit/keep options are very nice. Unfortunately, these same options are not available in the preview mode.

That's been suggested before and, while it'd be nice, to be really honest about it, I fear the Preview routine. It's part of a number of routines that're all joined at the hip, passing parms back and forth to each other, and running different other joined routines in different ways depending on the parms that were passed.

The problem is that, especially with the Preview routine, the number of other routines that need to be changed and the parms that go with them goes up exponentially (no exaggeration) with each addition to Preview. So if the number of routines/parms is currently 3^3, it can easily become 4^4 with a seemingly simple addition to Preview's complexity.

Heck, I'm surprised I was ever able to get Preview to work at all, let alone work correctly. Remember all the problems we used to have with it? Especially with it "losing" posts when people would try to edit them?

That's not a boat I'm remotely inclined to rock. I wrote the darned thing and really don't understand right now how it works, which makes me dread when I *have to* make changes to it.

You could save some processing time and a new page load for those using the preview mode

You'd think so, but I'm very intentionally inefficient with message-posting routines. Intentional in that I have those routines carry a lot of overhead with them (database INSERTs are comparatively expensive because of the number of indexes I'm using that make reads so much more efficient), but in addition to purposely imposing work on the writing routines to save time in the reading routines, there's another reason I don't put much effort into making writing routines efficient.

In the big picture perspective of the servers, message-writing is a very rare event. Along the lines of half a percent of all activity. Previewing is rarer still. We're talking 1/32 of a percent of all activity so far today.

Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgReplies (1) | Next 10 | Previous | Next
Follow Board Follow Board Keyboard Shortcuts Report TOS Violation
X
Current Price
Change
Volume
Detailed Quote - Discussion Board
Intraday Chart
+/- to Watchlist
Consent Preferences