InvestorsHub Logo
Followers 252
Posts 28145
Boards Moderated 4
Alias Born 07/07/2004

Re: BaseJumper35 post# 16

Tuesday, 11/24/2020 2:19:12 PM

Tuesday, November 24, 2020 2:19:12 PM

Post# of 57
An Arizona State University professor recently wrote an academic paper showing that the vast majority of stocks are stinkin' performers. His paper called "Do Stocks Outperform Treasury bills" examined over 25,000 listed stocks from 1926 to 2016. A big chunk of research!

"...he found that only 4% of the companies analyzed, or 1,092 firms, accounted for all of the net wealth that has been created over the full 90-year period of his study. The remaining 96% of companies collectively generated lifetime dollar gains matching those of one-month Treasury bills."

"Put differently, the outperformance of the stock market is mostly due to the relatively few companies that became "ten-bagger" stocks."

"The results presented reaffirm the importance of portfolio diversification. Poorly diversified portfolios will underperform because they omit the relatively few stocks that generate large positive returns."

From Seeking Alpha comes this dumbed-down discussion of that university paper.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4313706-stocks-beat-t-bills

______________________________________________________________
Because the Good Life is Just a Pump or Two Away

Volume:
Day Range:
Bid:
Ask:
Last Trade Time:
Total Trades:
  • 1D
  • 1M
  • 3M
  • 6M
  • 1Y
  • 5Y
Recent CARR News