Found some interesting ties between Apple employees and Liquidmetal employees on Facebook (not necessarily a reliable source, but useful nonetheless). According to his Facebook page, Sean O'Keeffe is a mechanical engineer at Liquidmetal Technologies. He is friends with Rich Heley who is the director of Ipod/Iphone Engineering at Apple, Inc. (according to his Facebook page). Both of them are friends with Chris Prest, who according to his LinkedIn Profile is a Product Design Engineer at Apple since 2005. The following is a job listing I found from 2010 involving Chris Prest:
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Apple job opportunity
Apple job opportunity for mechanical engineers with strong materials science backgrounds.
As a member of a cross-functional design team at Apple, you will help to create the next generation of the world's finest handheld devices. In addition to detailing out full design solutions, you will focus on R&D efforts supporting the integration of new/novel materials and manufacturing technologies into our products. This will involve identifying technologies, designing validation platforms, coordinating reliability testing and working closely with an extended Apple team to qualify appropriate technologies for production. A strong working knowledge of material science and excellent project management skills will be necessary to perform these tasks. You will be expected to present findings/recommendations to broader teams, so good communication/presentation skills are required. You will work closely with many different cross-functional teams including; Industrial Design, Reliability, Safety, Operations, Hardware, and Marketing.
* BS in mechanical engineering and/or materials science required, MS Preferred.
* Strong background in materials science and manufacturing methods.
* Strong analytical/problem solving skills and ability to use statistical tools and techniques.
* 3-D CAD skills.
* A demonstrated ability in plastic and metal part design.
* Experience in Design for Manufacturability (DFM), and Design for Assembly (DFA), statistical tolerance analysis techniques, functional dimensioning, and geometric tolerancing.
* Working knowledge of finite element analysis theory and general mechanical engineering analysis.
* Flexibility and comfort working in a quickly changing environment.
* Experience working with overseas manufacturers.
* Handheld/portable device experience.
* Unigraphics fluency desirable.
* Mandarin or Japanese language skills a benefit.
This position will require international travel (10%+).
Please contact Chris Prest (email@example.com) with your resume if interested. http://insidebrownengin.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html
There are a few other Facebook ties between Apple and Liquidmetal employees as well. Just thought it was worth sharing.