| || |
Primary IR Contact
Pablo E Paez
Director, Corporate Relations
The GEO Group Inc.
E-mail: [email protected]
Filing and Other Information
Welcome to The GEO Group, Inc. You might already know that GEO is a world leader in privatized correctional and detention management. But did you also know that we offer a wide range of other diversified services - from home detention to the development of residential treatment and mental health facilities?
We invite you to browse throughout our website to learn more about our company - and what makes us different from our competition. You'll see why our management team is the best in the business and how our unique turnkey approach allows us to more effectively design, build, manage and finance our state of the art facilities. You will learn why our unique approach to rehabilitation has become the model of treatment for our entire industry. You will also learn more about the many benefits of privatization - and why we believe a strategic investment in GEO makes good business sense.
All levels of government (federal, state and local) are being pressured to relieve prison overcrowding and by public opinion to impose longer sentences and resist early release programs based on insufficient jail space. Limited financial resources and resistance to tax increases compound this dilemma. The GEO Group, Inc. (GEO) offers privatized detention/correctional facilities as a viable solution.
As a contractor in a competitive arena, GEO's cadre of corrections professionals are motivated to find cost effective and innovative approaches and also provide the highest quality service possible. GEO provides all levels of secured facilities.
As an integral part of any correctional program, GEO has developed an expanding reputation as a provider of quality basic education programs, vocational training, substance abuse counseling and job seeking skills. Its operation of detention/correctional facilities also includes food services, medical care, building and grounds maintenance, transportation and full logistical support.
As public administrators become increasingly supportive of efforts by the private sector to assume tasks traditionally performed by government entities, GEO is in the forefront, providing leadership and innovation to this expanding service industry.
GEO brings to the marketplace an extraordinary reservoir of knowledge and expertise, unparalleled in the industry and well prepared for the challenges of the future.
George C. Zoley
Chairman of the Board
Chief Executive Officer and Founder
The GEO Group (NYSE: GEO) is a world leader in providing diversified services to government agencies around the globe. We offer high-quality, cost-effective services in the areas of correctional and detention management and residential treatment through state-of-the-art designs, innovative programs and ground-breaking treatment approaches.
These services include:
- Correctional Facilities
- Detention Centers
- Mental Health Services Facilities
- Facility Design
- Infrastructure Financing
- Turnkey Construction
- Other Government Services
We design, construct, finance and manage jails, state and federal prisons, special-purpose institutions, and immigration and detention centers.
We develop and manage medical and mental health rehabilitation facilities and services, including those focused on education, substance abuse, counseling and work programs, and community corrections services.
We deliver various other management services such as secure prisoner transport and escort, court and immigration custody services, and facility maintenance services.
At 2nd quarter 2008, we manage, or currently developing 64 correctional/detention and residential treatment facilities worldwide. Under these agreements, we manage over 59,000 offender beds in North America, Australia and South Africa. Our revenue at year-end 2007 was $1.024 billion, and net income was $41.845 million.
We currently have over 14,000 skilled employees. Corporate staff includes experts in prison design, financing, contract compliance, risk management, general administration, security, health services, human resources, information technology, basic education, vocational training, counseling, substance abuse treatment, mental health services and special needs populations, food service, facilities maintenance, and procurement.
Our world headquarters office is located in the United States in Boca Raton, Florida. We also have regional offices in Carlsbad, California; New Braunfels, Texas; and Charlotte, North Carolina. Our international offices are located in Sydney, Australia; Sandton, South Africa and Reading, England. Our stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under ticker symbol GEO.
Board of Directors
The GEO Board of Directors (from left to right):
Seated: Wayne H. Calabrese, George C. Zoley, Norman A. Carlson. Standing: John M. Palms, Richard H. Glanton, Anne N. Foreman, John M. Perzel.
|George C. Zoley |
Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer
The GEO Group, Inc.
|Wayne H. Calabrese |
President and Chief Operating Officer
The GEO Group, Inc.
|Norman A. Carlson |
Federal Bureau of Prisons
|Anne Newman Foreman |
Former Under Secretary
United States Air Force
|Richard H. Glanton |
Senior Vice President
|John M. Palms, Ph.D. |
Distinguished University Professor
University of South Carolina
|John M. Perzel |
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Corporate Structure and Other Details
The GEO Group is a decentralized organization composed of:
- GEO Group world headquarters and GEO's mental health subsidiary, GEO Care, corporate office in Boca Raton, Florida, United States;
- Western, Central and Eastern regional offices in the United States in California, Texas and North Carolina;
- Head Offices in Australia, South Africa and the United Kingdom.
GEO's global corporate headquarters consolidates key corporate functions that serve the entire organization. These include the:
- Executive Group of which Human Resources is direct report.
- Legal Group
- Finance and Business Management Group which also comprises Information Systems, Tax and Payroll divisions
- North American Services/Operations Group of which Correctional Health Services, Contract, Compliance, Risk Management and Correctional Food Service are divisions
- International Services Group
- Business/Proposal Development Group
- Our in-house Project Development/Design Services Group.
- The Company's regional offices are extensions of the corporate headquarters, incorporating policy into day-to-day operations, ensuring execution of contracts, and serving as liaisons between the corporate office and the field. Our decentralized structure empowers our front-line management and field personnel to make decisions swiftly and efficiently, resulting in premier client service and superior client satisfaction. The success of our strategy is evidenced in our results: GEO has a contract renewal rate that is greater than 90 percent, one of the highest in our industry.
GEO Care, Inc. (GEO Care) is the premier provider of behavioral, mental health, and other special needs health care services to state and local government agencies. Established in 1997 as a subsidiary of The GEO Group, we offer high-quality, cost effective services, with state-of-the-art designs, innovative programs and ground-breaking treatment approaches. GEO Care has been recognized for delivering high-quality care and effective treatment programs. A sample of our accomplishments are shown below:
- Significantly reduced average length of stay for civil psychiatric patients while maintaining low recidivism rate
- Decreased number of days to restore competency for forensic patients
- Initiated C.I.T. training for security staff
- Constructing new state-of-the art facilities – cost for GEO Care to build and operate new facility is less per bed than state was previously spending
- Increased amount of treatment delivered to patients
- Virtually eliminated restraint/seclusion
- Introduced recovery culture using treatment mall approach
- Achieved and maintained Joint Commission accreditation
- Eliminated state waiting list for civil and forensic beds
The formation of GEO Care is part of GEO's strategy to diversify into services that are complementary to its core business.
Industry Awards and Recognition
GEO takes great pride in ensuring that all facilities maintain the highest possible operating standards. Accreditation is important because it evaluates our facilities, measures our operating excellence, and assesses the integrity and professionalism of our staff. This promotes a "culture of quality" at GEO that ensures our adherence to performance standards that are among the highest in our industry.
All of GEO’s facilities are designed and operated in a manner consistent with the recommendations, standards or guidelines of one or more industry association, commission or council, to whom we regularly open our doors for inspection and evaluation. This cooperative, disciplined approach has resulted in the accreditation or reaccreditation of numerous facilities, with compliance scores as high as 100 percent. Accreditation establishes benchmarks for the quality of our operations and also enables us to gain additional protection for our client agencies against claims and litigation.
To obtain accreditation we adhere to the guidelines of the following organizations:
American Correctional Association (ACA)
ACA has developed national standards and implemented an accreditation process to maintain a balance between protecting the public, and providing an environment that safeguards the life, health, and safety of staff and offenders. More
International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
ISO represents an international consensus of standardized requirements for different quality management systems to assure that rigorous quality standards are maintained. More
National Commission for Correctional Health Care (NCCHC)
This accreditation program has established comprehensive health care policies and procedures that meet the highest standards in the industry. More
Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)
Accreditation by the JCAHO proves that effective health services and overall health protection is provided for inmates, ensuring a low risk of liability related to these services. More
Australian Council of Health Care Standards (ACHS)
Accreditation is awarded to facilities that consistently deliver health services efficiently and offer above-average health protection for inmates while maintaining a low liability risk related to these services. More
National Safety Council of Australia Ltd. (NSCA)
Provides awards for implementation of safety systems and processes that demonstrate an innovative approach to workplace health and safety. More
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)
Is one of only six such regional accrediting organizations recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. It accredites more than 13,000 public and private institutions in 11 states of the Southeastern U.S., Latin America and around the world. Member institutions regularly perform comprehensive self-evaluations to assist in improving and maintaining program quality. More
Correctional Education Association (CEA)
Provides a set of comprehensive standards designed to establish a framework to evaluate education programs in correctional settings. More
Past Honors And Accreditation
We achieved the following accreditations and honors with our former 50% partner Serco Investments Limited with whom we owned and operated Premier Custodial Group Limited (PCG) in the UK until we sold our interest to them.
- Butler Trust Award - Helps to develop effective care for prisoners through its annual award and development program. More
- British Safety Council’s Sword of Honour - Is one of the world’s leading workplace safety organizations. More
- Charter Mark - Is the Government’s award for recognizing, and encouraging excellence in the delivery of public services. More
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) - ISO 9002 certification is achieved by our facilities. More
- Investors in People - Is the national standard that seeks to improve an organization’s performance and secure competitive advantages. More
Chart and Other Information
Ref: Form 10
Common stock, $0.01 par value, 90,000,000 shares authorized, 67,146,903 and 67,050,596 issued and 51,071,903 and 50,975,596 outstanding