Calif. woman apparently burned by rocks in pocket http://www.wral.com/news/national_world/national/story/11110565/
SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. — A woman suffered third-degree burns after what appeared to be the spontaneous combustion
of rocks that had been scooped up from a Southern California beach, a fire official said.
The 43-year-old woman's children collected the rocks Saturday at San Clemente Beach, and she tucked them into the pocket of her shorts, according to the Orange County Register (http://bit.ly/JuVv9L
While the woman was standing in her kitchen Saturday after returning from the beach, the rocks somehow caught fire, burning the woman's right thigh and knee, said Capt. Marc Stone of the Orange County Fire Authority.
The woman tried to stop, drop and roll but couldn't extinguish the flames, Stone said.
The rocks are small, smooth, and orange and green in color. They eventually fell from the shorts onto the wooden floor where they continued to burn and fill the house with smoke, Stone said.
The woman's husband also suffered second-degree burns to his hand trying to put out the flames.
Authorities didn't provide any details about what would have caused the rocks to ignite, saying they're undergoing testing to see what happens.
"There is phosphorous that naturally occurs on the sand at the beach, but no one has ever heard of pants catching fire," Stone told the Register.
Stone said it could take weeks to complete the investigation.