Home > Boards > Other Markets > Indexes > SPX Cycles System Daily Cycles (SPI:IN\X)

northam,

Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgNext 10 | Previous | Next
JLS Member Profile

Followed By 62
Posts 8,054
Boards Moderated 0
Alias Born 12/14/04
160x600 placeholder
Correction to Indianapolis Shooting Article
Rupal Thanawala is a 25-year Indianapolis resident originally from Mumbai. "After FedEx Shooting, Indianapolis Grieves" at 1:07 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. ET incorrectly said she is 25 years old. The Indy 1500 Gun & Knife Show was held Saturday. "After FedEx Shooting, Indianapolis Grieves" at 1:07 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. ET incorrectly referred to the event as the Indy 500 Gun and Knife Show.
Indianapolis Mass Shooting: At Least Eight Dead at FedEx Facility -- 11th Update
Correction to Indianapolis Mass Shooting Article
Correction to Indianapolis Shooting Article at 1:07 p.m. ET
After FedEx Shooting, Indianapolis Grieves
Travel Boom Coming, Expedia CEO Says: 'Hotels Will Come Screaming Back'
Expat Americans Fly Home for Covid-19 Vaccination Shots
In Punishing Russia for SolarWinds, Biden Upends U.S. Convention on Cyber Espionage
Indianapolis Mass Shooting: At Least Eight Dead at FedEx Facility -- 10th Update
Roger Stone Is Sued as U.S. Government Alleges Unpaid Taxes -- Update
Indianapolis Mass Shooting: At Least Eight Dead at FedEx Facility -- 9th Update
Roger Stone Is Sued as U.S. Government Alleges Unpaid Taxes
Indianapolis Mass Shooting: At Least Eight Dead at FedEx Facility -- 8th Update
Top Company News of the Day
J&J, Morgan Stanley, Coinbase: Stocks That Defined the Week
NASA Picks SpaceX to Build New Lunar Lander -- 2nd Update
Lilly Ends U.S. Use of Single Covid-19 Antibody Drug Alone -- Update
Indianapolis Mass Shooting: At Least Eight Dead at FedEx Facility -- 7th Update
Stocks End Week With Fresh Records--Update
Top Stories of the Day
NASA Picks SpaceX to Build New Lunar Lander -- Update
FedEx's Limits on Phones in Spotlight After Indianapolis Shooting
JLS   Sunday, 08/14/11 02:26:06 AM
Re: northam43 post# 1584
Post # of 1590 
northam,

I have no idea what will happen. It would bother me a little if QT shut down very soon, but that's only because I spent hours and hours setting up a ton of sector portfolios, each containing at least a dozen stocks, and then writing color-bar formulas and setting alerts for the 3/8/20 system I'm developing. If QT shuts down in the midst of next winter I probably wont care because by then I will have everything I want to do transported over to Excel where I can do more sophisticated things (and Excel is going to be around forever -- at least my personal forever).

I think I started with QT about four years ago, mainly because I wanted to get more involved with intra-day data and be able to set alerts. Don't really remember the date. It's easy to get intra-day charts free from any brokerage, but I wanted something that I could run offline and where I could add lots of bells and whistles because I was convinced that the only way to improve my Swap system during sideways or volatile markets was to get involved in intra-day charting. After spending a lot of time with that and checking out a lot of other things I decided that intra-day data is pretty much worthless because it is so fast that it can do things for you but it can just as easily do things to you, and I don't mean that in the positive sense -- if you are going to be in a train wreck, it's better to be in a slow train wreck than in a fast train wreck. It's easier to survive a slow train wreck. The bottom line is that after trying everything I could think of, nothing intra-day helped the Swap system; but I did find some inter-day things that helped a lot.

So I'll repeat myself: it's not the intra-day activity that's so important unless you are a day trader; instead, it's the inter-day trading that is important, and that is reflected in daily candlestick patterns. In fact, I've been thinking for a while that perhaps there should be such a thing as a 2-day candle, and that there would be one for every day. This would mean that candles account for two days and also overlap. This is not an entirely new concept -- the calculation of Average True Range (ATR), for instance, is a 2-day calculation. Notice the word 'True' in the name of the indicator. It's an attempt to account for 'overnight' psychology and account for gaps.

Why do I bring all this up? Because my opinion (which has changed over the last few years) is that long-term traders don't need intra-day charts, and because there are lots of off-line end-of-day charting programs that are either available for free, or cost very little to purchase.

Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgNext 10 | Previous | Next
Follow Board Follow Board Keyboard Shortcuts Report TOS Violation
X
Current Price
Change
Volume
Detailed Quote - Discussion Board
Intraday Chart
+/- to Watchlist
Consent Preferences