ADDING MULTIMEDIA The Hartford Turns 200 Years Old
Date : 05/10/2010 @ 12:02PM
Source : Business Wire
Stock : The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. (HIG) http://ih.advfn.com/p.php?pid=nmona&article=42742071&symbol=HIG
The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. (NYSE: HIG) today celebrates its 200th anniversary of helping its customers achieve what’s ahead. To commemorate the company’s May 10, 1810, incorporation date, CEO Liam E. McGee and CFO Christopher J. Swift will ring the opening bell at the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
“For 200 years, this iconic American company has helped its customers achieve what’s ahead, earning a reputation for trust, integrity and customer service excellence,” said McGee. “The company has played a critical role in America’s history, protecting and investing in the country’s trials and triumphs. We have assisted customers through almost every major historic event in the U.S. since 1810.”
The Hartford has been involved with numerous milestones in the nation’s history including:
* Providing the contract bonds for construction of the Hoover Dam in 1931 and the Golden Gate Bridge in 1937;
* Issuing a personal liability policy for President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s 190-acre working farm and insuring Abraham Lincoln’s home in Springfield, Ill., in 1861;
* Paying out almost $2 million in claims after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 destroyed nearly 17,500 buildings and claimed 250 lives; and
* Paying more than 950 business, life, auto and property claims as a result of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
“As the company enters its third century, The Hartford is more committed than ever to its customers, agents and brokers, communities, shareholders and importantly, to our 28,000 teammates. We are well-positioned to move forward and have everything we need for success: a new strategy; a large and growing customer base; a broad and diverse product portfolio; and an enviable distribution network of agents, brokers and financial advisors. The Hartford’s goal is to deliver sustained, profitable growth over time with strength, confidence, focus and discipline,” said McGee.
“As the first insurance company incorporated in Connecticut, The Hartford has grown into one of the preeminent protection and wealth management companies in the United States,” said Connecticut Governor M. Jodi Rell. “I would like to congratulate The Hartford’s employees on 200 years of serving customers and for the remarkable impact they make in Connecticut and in the communities where the company’s employees live and work.”
Celebrating the Bicentennial
The Hartford has a full schedule of events and other activities to commemorate this historic milestone:
* Company leaders and employees will ring the opening bell on the morning of May 10 at the NYSE. There will be a display featuring the company’s Richard Childress Racing's No. 33 Chevrolet Impala with The Hartford’s commemorative logo. And, in honor of The Hartford’s role as the founding partner of the U.S. Paralympics, there will be curling, wheelchair basketball, and sit volleyball demonstrations at the NYSE.
* Bicentennial branded corporate advertising in major publications and online, featuring a celebratory gatefold ad in TIME magazine’s 100 Most Influential People issue, as well as graphics celebrating the company’s history on the homepage of the Wall Street Journal online and trade advertisements.
* In the spirit of the company’s longstanding commitment to philanthropy in the communities where employees live and work, The Hartford will sponsor employee community service programs and events in local markets across the country. In Hartford, the company and its employees raised more than $230,000 for Foodshare’s 2010 “Walk Against Hunger.” Thousands of employees are expected to participate in fundraising and volunteer activities with nonprofit organizations across the country to help their local communities achieve what’s ahead.
* Recognition programs for agents and partners, including philanthropic contributions in their honor, as well as other special events and activities.
Visit www.thehartford.com for more information on The Hartford’s bicentennial celebration, products and services. Multimedia from The Hartford's bicentennial events will also be posted to the company's social media pages throughout the month. Visit: http://www.facebook.com/thehartford
for the newest photos and videos. For additional multi-media elements, visit PressLift, http://thehartford.presslift.com
About The Hartford
Celebrating 200 years of helping its customers achieve what’s ahead, The Hartford (NYSE: HIG) is an insurance and wealth management company. Through its unique focus on customer needs, the company serves businesses and consumers by providing the products and solutions they need to protect their assets and income from risks and manage their wealth and retirement needs. A Fortune 100 company, The Hartford is recognized widely for its service expertise and as one of the world's most ethical companies. More information on the company and its financial performance is available at www.thehartford.com.
Some of the statements in this release may be considered forward-looking statements as defined in the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. We caution investors that these forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance, and actual results may differ materially. Investors should consider the important risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ. These important risks and uncertainties include those discussed in our Annual Report for fiscal year 2009 on Form 10-K and the other filings we make with the Securities and Exchange Commission. We assume no obligation to update this release, which speaks as of the date issued.