I hold a lot of positions, and I never know which ones will do best. To make it easier for me, I decided to pick one China Play, one Miner, one Wild Card, one pick I got from VMC, and two others. I currently own all six stocks.
1. CAGC is my china play. Good balance sheet, good earnings, a seasonally strong quarter coming up, a sector (fertilizer) that could get hot, and it has had some history in '05 and '06 of spiking to above $4.50.
Found CAGC when perusing through the Lentinman china index a few months ago.
2. FNI.to is my mining play. Nickel miner, seems relatively inexpensive, and earnings should increase dramatically. Given the move in nickel, its a bit risky, but then all miners are.
Found FNI via cl001.
3. ROAC is my wild card - granite quarry, and memorial retail operator. Last qtr was ugly, but their first quarter is so weather dependent (quarry is in Vermont), that its not very meaningful. They are trying to turn the company around, and I'm betting they will. I was sold by the conference call last qtr. Their very bullish on this years outlook, as well as q2. Swenson, the CEO stated in the CC that the second qtr ending 6/30 is real important. He mentioned some benchmarks including having positive operating income year to date at the end of q2. If this happens, q2 would have to be a whopper to make up for q1's stinker.
However, I've owned ROAC on and off for years, and Swenson has been overly optimistic many times.
4. PDEX - one of swampboots PSL5 picks. PDEX makes miniature rotary drive and fractional horsepower motors for the medical, dental, scientific research and aerospace markets. These guys have some serious problems for the past year, but appear to be in turnaround mode - they recently announced a very good quarter. I believe PDEX could run-up before next qtrs earnings release, however the actual outcome is a bit iffy. I also like them longterm b/c of the sectors they sell to, solid tangible book, and growth opportunities.
Found Swampboots' PDEX when researching VMC PSL5 picks.
5. TIII - announced middling earnings (lost a penny), but w/i the earnings p/r they announced a six million dollar order that will ship over the next two quarters. They only did $9.4 and $11.2 million in those qtrs last year, so it should have a material impact. The CEO was confident looking forward. I like bottom feeding and caught this one near the low - its still pretty close to its yearly low. Clean balance sheet and strong tangible book.
6. KEQU - one of my PL5 picks - refer to my post # 70740 on the VMC board.