* "In what could be called a tortoise (value) vs. hare (growth) matchup, the tortoise appears to be winning this year.
* In the past month, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B +1.8%) (BRK.A +1.5%) increases its lead on the more mercurial Ark Innovation ETF (ARKK -3.0%).
* Of course, Berkshire could be getting a leg up from Apple's (AAPL -1.1%) 17% gain in the past month. Apple is Berkshire's biggest equity holding and made up about half of the investment firm's equity portfolio (as of Dec. 10), according to Business Insider.
* In the past month (as of Monday's close), Berkshire's B (NYSE:BRK.B) shares rose 1.4%, exceeding the S&P 500's 0.2% decline and Ark Innovation's (NYSEARCA:ARKK) 20% drop as seen in the graph below.
* Ark Innovation (ARKK) had a sizeable lead on Berkshire in February when retail investors piled into popular stay-at-home trades like Coinbase (NASDAQ:COIN), Roku (NASDAQ:ROKU), Teladoc (NYSE:TDOC), and Zoom Video Communications (NASDAQ:ZM), all stocks included in the ETF.
* Since then, all four tech names have lagged the S&P 500, with only Coinbase managing a gain for the year.