Westmoreland Coal Company (Westmoreland) is an energy company. The Company’s mining operations include:
- Westmoreland Mining LLC, which through its subsidiaries operates four mining complexes in the United States, Many of Westmoreland’s mines are located adjacent or close to their primary customers. An exception is the Coal Valley mine which exports coal to power utilities in the Asia-Pacific region. The majority of the Company’s coal production is sold under long-term contracts of one year or greater. When these contracts they expire it is anticipated that they will be followed by extensions, new contracts, or spot sales at prices reflecting then current market conditions.
- Prairie Mines & Royalty ULC, which operates five mining complexes in Canada,
- Westmoreland Resources, Inc., which operates the Absaloka Mine (Hardin, Montana)
- Westmoreland Kemmerer, Inc., which operates the Kemmerer Mine (Kremmerer, Wyoming), and
- Coal Valley Resources Inc., which operates the Coal Valley Mine (Edson, Aberta, Canada).
On October 9, 2018 Westmoreland filed a petition for bankruptcy in US Bankruptcy Court in Houston, TX under Chapter 11 proceedings. The company has debt of $1.4B. FINRA changed Westmoreland's symbol from WLBA to WLBAQ.