About RXi Pharmaceuticals
RXi Pharmaceuticals Corporation (OTC: RXII) is a biotechnology company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing innovative therapies based on its proprietary, next-generation RNAi platform. Therapeutics that use RNA interference, or "RNAi," have great promise because of their ability to "silence," or down-regulate, the expression of a specific gene that may be overexpressed in a disease condition. Building on the pioneering work of scientific founder and Nobel Laureate Dr. Craig Mello, RXi's first RNAi product candidate, RXI-109
, entered into RXi's first human clinical trial in 2012. RXI-109 targets connective tissue growth factor (CTGF), a key regulatory of fibrosis and scar formation, and is initially being developed to reduce or inhibit scar formation in the skin following surgery.
RXi Pharmaceuticals Corp., has received patent approval for their new experimental breast cancer
vaccine which became part of the company's arsenal after acquiring Apthera Inc. in April of this year.
The specific patents in question regard using the vaccine NeuVax with the drug Herceptin which is used in women to slow the production of the HER2 protein in tumors, while NeuVax attempts to make the body's immune system fight off cancerous cells.
According to The Telegram:
"The patents also cover using NeuVax in patients not eligible for Herceptin treatment."
With their patent in place the company plans to begin human tests in early 2012.
According to RXi the patents were developed by Dr. George E. Peoples, director of the Cancer Vaccine Development Program for the U.S. Military Cancer Institute and RXi is leasing the patents for their own work.
This May, RXi Pharmaceuticals Corp. observed two momentous events: The biotechnology company completed its spinoff from Galena Biopharma Inc., and Dr. Geert Cauwenbergh took the helm as president and chief executive officer. The small company's first product, an anti-scarring medication called RXI-109, entered clinical trials this year, and is based on the pioneering work in RNA interference of RXi scientific founder and Nobel Laureate Dr. Craig C. Mello. Dr. Cauwenbergh came to RXi after a long career in pharmaceuticals, most recently as president and chief executive officer of a company he founded, Barrier Therapeutics. What attracted you to come to Worcester? "It was the technology, well, the technology and the chemistry with these people. They're very bright." As a publicly traded company, how do you reconcile the needs of the investors, which are sometimes a short-term desire for profits, with the needs of medical research, which sometimes takes years? "Through business development. Basically what you do as a small biotech is you try to create a big network with people who have interest in various stages of development. ... In two or three years they get antsy and they want to cash in, but at that point in time there will be and there is already a network of business development contacts in place where you can for instance get nondiluted money without having to raise money and go back to the stock market and shareholders by making regional deals or geographic deals ... NEWS
Dec 17, 2014 RXi Pharmaceuticals Announces Sustained Effect of RXI-109 at Three Months Post Scar Revision Surgery and the Completion of Enrollment for its Phase 2a Trial RXI-109-1301 http://finance.yahoo.com/news/rxi-pharmaceuticals-announces-sustained-effect-120200746.html Press Releases RXi Pharmaceuticals to Present at Biotech Showcase™ 2013
- December 19, 2012 RXi Pharmaceuticals Announces Initiation of Second Double-Blind Vehicle Controlled Phase 1 Study With Its Anti-Scarring Compound, RXI-109
- December 5, 2012 RXi Pharmaceuticals Announces Pharmacokinetic Results of its Single Dose Phase 1 Study with RXI-109 in Healthy Volunteers
- November 15, 2012 RXi Pharmaceuticals Reports Financial Results for the Third Quarter of 2012
- November 14, 2012 RXi Pharmaceuticals to Present at 12th Annual Biotech Symposium
- October 16, 2012 RXi Pharmaceuticals Awarded NCI SBIR Funding to Advance Self-Delivering RNAi Technology
- October 4, 2012 RXi Pharmaceuticals to Present at 11th Annual BIO Investor Forum
- October 2, 2012 RXi Pharmaceuticals Announces Completion of Dosing in Phase 1 Trial for RXI-109 Program
- September 24, 2012 RXi Pharmaceuticals Reports Financial Results for the Second Quarter of 2012
- August 15, 2012 RXi Pharmaceuticals Appoints Jeannette Graf MD and Leroy Young MD to its Scientific Advisory Board
- July 13, 2012
|Share Statistics |
|Avg Vol (3 month)3: ||215,443 |
|Avg Vol (10 day)3: ||145,371 |
|Shares Outstanding5: ||338m |
|Float: ||53.34M |
|% Held by Insiders1: ||9.01% |
|% Held by Institutions1: ||0.50% |