Porcupine Gold Mines Camp -
- 100th Anniversary Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbfrbll0Fww&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM4kJU0gJp4 The Porcupine Camp is dotted with head frames
and open pit mines;
some old, some newer, evidence of our mining heritage.
Historically, the district has been a major producer
of both gold and base metals.
Timmins Porcupine Gold - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txkyHBbws5g&feature=related Along the Porcupine-Destor Fault, which runs 200km from Timmins
to Destor in Quebec, over 65 million ounces of gold
have been mined.
Head frames towering majestically in our city's skyline
conjure up images of adventure and heroism.
As picturesque as they are, their presence served a
necessary, practical function for past miners. The McIntyre Gold Mine
Is the 3rd largest producer of gold in Canada
with a production of 10.8 million oz.
Prospectors Alexander Olifant (alias Sandy McIntyre) and
Hans Buttner staked their claims on the shores of Pearl Lake
The mine operated between 1912 and 1988.
It consisted of an underground mining operation with several
access shafts and vent raises as well as a mill, shops, and
The McIntyre arena was built in 1938 for the workers' and
their families' recreational activities.
At one point, copper was found in the area, and by 1963,
copper ore recovered exceeded gold production.
The only remaining building, following the demolition of
the mine site in 2001, was the Shaft No. 11 head frame
and a shed containing electrical switchgear
for the head frame.
The headframe was completed in 1927.
The McIntyre was the first mine in Canadian history
to use rubber liners in milling and the first in
the Porcupine Camp to apply square-set and cut and fill
stoping mining methods underground.
Gunitting was developed at the McIntyre and it adapted
and introduced flotation to gold milling and the mine was
the first in Ontario to sink a shaft to below 4,000 ft.
Also, then McIntyre Mine Manager Ennis took the lead in mine
safety establishing early procedures which gave a daily report
on safety conditions underground, a standard that is
There has been an extensive degree of rehabilitation and
exploration work performed in and around
the old McIntyre Mine property in recent years.
The City of Timmins has redeveloped the head frame and
its immediate surroundings as a heritage monument to
gold mining in the Porcupine Camp. The Hollinger Gold Mine Hollinger Gold Mine
looking east from Goldfields Hotel. **
Operated from 1910 to 1968 and closed due to low gov.
manipulated gold prices. It is Canada's largest gold producer ever with 19.6 million
ounces produced while in operation.
In October 1909, Benny Hollinger and Alex Gillies made
the discovery that led to the foundation of one of
the world's largest gold mines and the beginning
of the great Porcupine Gold Rush.
The rectangular head frame is a concrete building as opposed
to most other head frames seen in the Timmins skyline,
which are built with either wood or metal.
The large black dome shaped building adjacent to the main head
frame was a storage bin for the ore hoisted from underground.
The old Pump house was used to pump fresh air down into the
mine workings, but is now vacant.
During the summer months, an underground gold mine tour
is offered on a daily basis.
This very exciting and informative journey is a must for
the whole family. The Paymaster Gold Mine
Was developed by Standard Mines Ltd.
It operated from 1915 to 1966 and produced 1.2 million ounces
The main shaft is somewhat run-down but still intact.
The head frame is made of blue and silver sheet metal on
the outside and the interior is constructed with wood.
You can get an excellent view of it from the back road
(across from Simpson Lake on Gold Mine Road).
In 1945, tragedy struck at the Paymaster Mine when the cable
supporting a cage broke, sending 16 men plummeting more
than 1,500 feet to their deaths. The Dome Gold Mine
Was the first producing gold mine in Timmins.
In the spring of 1909, a prospecting team led by Harry Preston
and Jack Wilson uncovered a mound or dome of golden crusted
They staked their claims and called it "The Big Dome".
The mine started as an underground operation and expanded
to include the super pit. It consists of many buildings
including the head frame (building with the red top),
mill, shops, and office building. To date, it has produced over 15 million ounces of gold.
Not only was it one of the first mines to be discovered,
but it is Canada's longest running gold mine. Pamour Mine/Porcupine Joint Venture
Its ore body was first staked in 1909 by a prospector named
A.C. Brown, but for a variety of reasons, such as
the Great Fire of July 11, 1911, World War I, and
the stock market crash of 1929, along with a general lack
of funds, the mine had a difficult start-up.
In 1935, a deal was made between Noranda Mines Ltd. and
Pamour Porcupine Mines Ltd. to bring the mine into production
with Quebec Gold as the manager.
The name Pamour comes from a combination of the names of
two prospectors, Firman La Palme, and Wilfrid D'Amour who
were connected to the property at various times.
The Porcupine Joint Venture, a joint development project by
Placer Dome Ltd. and Kinross Gold Corp saw the Pamour pit
back in operation in 2005.
The relocation of Highway 101 allowed for the expansion of
the super pit and rerouted traffic to the south side of
Three Nations Lake.
Reserves are estimated at 1.8 million ounces of gold. The Kidd Creek Mine /Metallurgical Site
A division of Xstrata Copper, the mine is located
approximately 22 km north of Timmins.
This major ore body was discovered in 1963 and production
began in 1966.
Copper, zinc and silver are mined at the Kidd Creek Mine.
They are then carried by the Kidd Creek railway to
the metallurgical site 10 km away, where it is crushed,
concentrated, and refined.
Production of these base metals is accomplished using
modern mining techniques and equipment.
Mining began as an open pit at the top of the ore deposit
for the first 6 years but gradually turned into an
underground operation in 1973.
This remarkable operation is the largest employer in the
area and is one of the world's premier mining companies.
Together with the Kidd Metallurgical complex, it employs
close to 2,200 employees and contractors.
The Mine D expansion project was completed in 2006 at a
capital cost of C$664 million.
The project included the development of the Mine D shaft
which extends to 9,889 feet below surface and established
production areas at 8,800 feet.
Developed ore reserves now reach to a depth of 9,100 feet. The Kidd mine -
produces annually around 45,000 tonnes of copper and
130,000 tonnes of zinc contained in concentrates.
Much of this information has been provided by
the Timmins Chamber of Commerce.
For more information on the Porcupine Camp's mining history,
visit the Underground Gold Mine Tour or the Timmins Museum -
dd.... MONETA GOLD MINE -
boarder to boarder with Hollinger Gold Mine -
dd..e.g.,.. http://www.monetaporcupine.com/s/Home.asp http://www.monetaporcupine.com/s/Projects.asp http://investorshub.advfn.com/boards/read_msg.aspx?message_id=55545209 http://www.porcupinegoldmines.ca/en/ouroperations/hollinger.asp