Home > Boards > The Lounge > Coffee Shop > Bible (Bible)

LISTENING TO THE SPIRIT -- Acts 11:12 NIV

Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgReplies (2) | Next 10 | Previous | Next
excel Member Profile
Member Level 
Followed By 162
Posts 86,468
Boards Moderated 11
Alias Born 03/08/01
160x600 placeholder
excel Member Level  Wednesday, 06/24/09 07:29:07 PM
Re: None
Post # of 65079 
LISTENING TO THE SPIRIT -- Acts 11:12 NIV

The Spirit told me to have no hesitation about going with them. These six brothers also went with me, and we entered the man's house.

When the three men came to visit Peter, he was confronted with a dilemma. Here stood three Gentiles asking him to come to the home of another Gentile… a Roman soldier no less! Peter had only had a short time to assimilate the new concept God had shown him in the vision. He was still soaking it in when the men showed up. It would have been very natural, vision or no vision, for Peter to tell these men to go away. But Peter was tuned in to the Holy Spirit. Through continual prayer and study of the scriptures, Peter was on the Spirit's wavelength. So, when the Holy Spirit told him not to hesitate to go with these men, Peter obeyed.

I used to have the privilege of being a member of a Sunday school class that was lead by a Spirit-filled woman. Each week, she would work diligently to create an interesting and inspiring lesson. Many times, the Lord allowed her to stick right with her lesson plan without variation. But there were other times when the Holy Spirit stepped in and said, "You've done a great job getting this lesson together. However, today, I have other plans." Her willingness to keep herself on the same wavelength as the Holy Spirit became an eternal blessing for two people I specifically remember, and many more that I either didn’t witness or don’t recall. When things began to veer off her planned lesson, she let the Spirit lead the class. And on both of those specific occasions, someone was saved. If she had doggedly stuck with what she had planned, ignoring the prompting of the Holy Spirit, the salvation those two people received on those two days might very well have been postponed.

Are you tuned in to the Holy Spirit? Do you hear when He speaks to you? And if you do, do you obey? If you are walking on a day-by-day basis with the Holy Spirit, then the next time you hear a gentle whisper speaking to you, pay attention. It just might be something you – or someone else - need to hear.

The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by."
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave.
Then a voice said to him, "What are you doing here, Elijah?" 1 Kings 19:11-13

General correspondence or to subscribe to Take a Minute: J-R-and-Bonnie@dogwoodministries.org

Donations to Dogwood Ministries: http://www.dogwoodministries.org

No matter what you make. All that you can take. Is what you give away. Vince Gill

Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgReplies (2) | Next 10 | Previous | Next
Follow Board Follow Board Keyboard Shortcuts Report TOS Violation
X
Current Price
Change
Volume
Detailed Quote - Discussion Board
Intraday Chart
+/- to Watchlist
Consent Preferences