More will follow IMO, now that our product are PROVEN in a high demand/capacity environment...
Holland America Line
At Holland America Line, cruising is our passion. We are equally passionate about protecting and preserving the pristine destinations that we visit. For many years we have emphasized environmental stewardship and conservation in our operations. Today, our environmental initiatives positively affect the lives of guests, staff and the inhabitants of the many regions visited by our cruises and tours.
All of our business decisions are made on the basis of certain fundamental principles. Ensuring safety and protecting the environment are two of the most important of these principles. Whenever we act or choose not to act, we need to ask ourselves whether doing so will maintain safety and prevent damage to the environment. This philosophy underlies our Safety and Environmental Policy. As stated in the policy:
Safeguarding our guests, crews, ships and the environment in which we live and operate is not only the right thing to do, it is essential to the successful conduct of our business.
President and Chief Executive Officer
We take care of the Planet
Our five star ships are as environmentally sound as they are beautiful. Here are just a few of our environmental efforts:
* Environmental Management System: All of our ships are ISO 14001 certified by Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance (LRQA), North America.
* Environmental Officers: Stationed onboard every ship to provide environmental training and oversee shipboard compliance with environmental requirements.
* Advanced Waste Water Purification Systems: These systems treat wastewater to a higher quality than most municipal treatment systems and the discharge is clean enough to meet the drinking water standards in many communities.
* Shore Power: The Noordam, Westerdam and Oosterdam have been modified to connect to shore power in Seattle and where compatible facilities are available. * Cleaning Supplies: All ships use cleaning products specifically designed for environmentally friendly application onboard ships.
* Recycling: All ships have recycling, garbage and hazardous materials programs that address bottles, cans, paper, cardboard, plastic, and hazardous waste. * Dry Cleaning Machines: Perchloroethylene based dry cleaning equipment is being replaced by machines using non-hazardous detergents formulated with soy, banana and orange extracts.
* X-ray Facilities: Digital technology is being implemented onboard to eliminate the chemicals used by traditional x-ray machines.
* Soy Inks: All onboard materials are printed with environmentally friendly soy based ink.
* Water Conservation: All staterooms have low flow systems for toilets and showers installed.
* Donation Program: Rather than being thrown away, unneeded beds, furniture, electronics, linens and other items from our ships are donated around the world to worthy charitable organizations.
Our activities to protect the environment have not gone un-noticed by others. We have recently won the following environmental honors: * Kuoni Green Planet Award: The Noordam, Oosterdam and Westerdam each won a Green Planet Award in 2006 from this Swiss travel company. * Porthole Cruise Magazine: In 2006, we were recognized as "Best Eco-Friendly Cruise Line." * NOAA Conservation Partnership Award: Presented to Holland America Line in 2006 for our Whale strikes Avoidance training program.
Guest Invitation to Environmental Excellence
We invite and encourage all of our guests to assist us as we work to protect the environment both onboard and ashore. You can make a difference on your cruise and land tour in the following ways:
* Towel Re-Use Option: Similar to many fine hotels ashore, you can signal your cabin steward of your desire for fresh simply by leaving them on the floor. If you would like to re-use your towel, simply hang it on the bathroom door or towel rack to let the cabin steward know your intentions. This helps the environment by reducing energy, water and detergents required for daily washings.
* Guest Presentations: We invite you to attend one of our Environmental Stewardship presentations given every cruise by the ship's Environmental Officer. On cruises to Alaska and Antarctica, we also offer you the opportunity to attend a variety of other environmental and ecological presentations given by one of our onboard enrichment speakers.
* Turn Off Cabin Lights and TV When Not in Use: As when ashore, energy conservation goes a long way to helping us protect the environment.
* Close Exterior Doors: Guests can help maintain interior temperatures and humidity while conserving energy and helping protect the environment by assuring that exterior doors in both public and cabin spaces are not left open un-necessarily.
* No Garbage Overboard: Please do not throw anything overboard. Trash receptacles and ash trays are provided on all open decks for your use.
* Use the Proper Waste Container: We have placed waste containers for paper, aluminum cans and garbage throughout the vessel. Using the right container goes a long way to helping assure it is properly and efficiently managed.
* Protect Wildlife: Do not disturb or feed birds and other wildlife. Do not touch or handle coral reefs when SCUBA diving or snorkeling.
* No Litter Ashore: Please do not leave trash on beaches- use trash receptacles ashore or carry it back onboard with you. http://18.104.22.168/search?q=cache:kKQfx6SaJC0J:www.hollandamerica.com/about/environmental.do+holland+america+environmental&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a