Home > Boards > The Lounge > Politics > The Free Zone Board

Well it has been a while since I

Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgReplies (1) | Next 10 | Previous | Next
ergo sum Member Profile
Member Level 
Followed By 82
Posts 50,990
Boards Moderated 0
Alias Born 04/13/01
160x600 placeholder
German Exports Rose in October, Beating Forecasts
By Maria Martinez German exports increased in October, beating forecasts and surpassing pre-pandemic levels.
Aker Solutions Gets Contract From Equinor for Subsea Work Offshore Norway
EQT to Buy 20% Stake in Dentistry Scanning and Software Developer 3Shape
Vinci, Eiffage Raise Offer for France's Prado Tunnel Operator
L'Oreal to Buy U.S. Skincare Brand
EMEA Morning Briefing: Shares to Struggle as Covid Restrictions Tighten Again
Top Company News of the Day
Reata Pharmaceuticals Down 30% After Hours on FDA Advisory Panel Vote
Correction to FTSE 100 Index Ends Flat at 7337.05 -- Data Talk
Reata Pharmaceuticals Gets Negative Vote From FDA Advisory Panel on Bardoxolone Methyl
Wheat Falls as Traders Anticipate World Supply Growth -- Daily Grain Highlights
Front Month Nymex Natural Gas Rose 2.89% to Settle at $3.8150 -- Data Talk
Front Month Nymex RBOB Gasoline Rose 2.31% to Settle at $2.1485 -- Data Talk
Kraft Heinz to Create North America Zone from Canada, U.S. Businesses Merger
U.S. Grain, Soybean Weekly Export Sales Estimates for Dec. 2
FTSE 100 Closes Down as New UK Covid-19 Restrictions Loom
STOXX Europe 600 Index Ends 0.59% Lower at 477.36 -- Data Talk
CAC 40 Index Ends 0.72% Lower at 7014.57 -- Data Talk
DAX Ends 0.80% Lower at 15687.09 -- Data Talk
FTSE 100 Index Ends Flat at 7337.35 -- Data Talk
EURO STOXX 50 Index Ends 1.01% Lower at 4233.09 -- Data Talk
STOXX Europe 50 Index Ends 0.59% Lower at 3726.78 -- Data Talk
CP Rail Shareholders Approve Stock Issuance as Part of Kansas City Southern Deal
ergo sum Member Level  Saturday, 01/24/04 10:40:28 PM
Re: Spallenzani post# 6454
Post # of 6491 
Well it has been a while since I thought about this. I understand your point but I don't really agree. I think the nature of the beast is such that it can not be localized. That being said I do think it needs to be returned to local control.

" With 2.2 million people engaged in catching criminals and putting and keeping them behind bars, "corrections" has become one of the largest sectors of the U.S. economy, employing more people than the combined workforces of General Motors, Ford and Wal-Mart, the three biggest corporate employers in the country. Correctional officers have developed powerful labor unions. And most politicians, whether at the local, state or national level, remain acutely aware that allowing themselves to be portrayed as "soft on crime" is the quickest route to electoral defeat. "
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A43362-2004Jan23.html

More and more the Wackenhut Corrections Corp. is playing a larger and larger roll in this country. This is not even an American corporation. I see this as the by-product of deregulation. Getting the government out of the functions of government. The Cato Institute and the rest of the Libertarian movement are at least partially to blame for this.

While it might be nice to think that privatizing certain functions of government would be good, all I see is that it leads to more corporate profiteering. Halburton becomes the Army Corps of Engineers and buys Kuwait oil at extravagant prices while their employees take bribes. Nothing is gained in this except the graft and fraud now lie further from the governments control.

Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgReplies (1) | Next 10 | Previous | Next
Follow Board Follow Board Keyboard Shortcuts Report TOS Violation
X
Current Price
Change
Volume
Detailed Quote - Discussion Board
Intraday Chart
+/- to Watchlist
Consent Preferences