Home > Boards > The Lounge > Coffee Shop > ETERNITY

How to Avoid God’s Discipline

Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgNext 10 | Previous | Next
Ranb2khz Member Profile
Member Level 
Followed By 419
Posts 10,381
Boards Moderated 5
Alias Born 07/16/08
160x600 placeholder
Ranb2khz Member Level  Tuesday, 05/07/19 01:50:08 AM
Re: None
Post # of 28275 
How to Avoid God’s Discipline

"Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy way will be guilty of sin against the body and blood of the Lord. So a man should examine himself; in this way he should eat the bread and drink from the cup. For whoever eats and drinks unworthily, not discerning the Lord’s body, eats and drinks judgment on himself. This is why many are sick and ill among you, and many have fallen asleep. If we were properly evaluating ourselves, we would not be judged, but when we are judged, we are disciplined by the Lord, so that we may not be condemned with the world." ~ 1 Corinthians 11:27-32

“For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.” Can you relate to Paul’s statement from Romans 7:19? Although sin’s power has been broken in the Christian’s life, it can still exert influence. That’s why the apostle tells us not to let sin reign in our bodies — otherwise, it could lead us away from the Lord and hinder His transformative work:

"Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, so that you obey its desires. And do not offer any parts of it to sin as weapons for unrighteousness. But as those who are alive from the dead, offer yourselves to God, and all the parts of yourselves to God as weapons for righteousness. For sin will not rule over you, because you are not under law but under grace." ~ Romans 6:12-14

Divine discipline is one of the means God employs to halt the progress of sinful behavior in His children. But it doesn’t always have to come to that. Paul suggested that the Corinthians examine their hearts prior to participating in the Lord’s Supper. Then they could correct themselves before coming under the Father’s discipline.

We can adopt the same practice of self-examination in our daily life by asking God where we might be harboring wrong attitudes or hidden sin. Then as we pray and read the Scriptures, the Holy Spirit will help us see where we have gone astray. If we truly desire to mature in our faith, we will honestly confront the problem areas He reveals. This is done by confessing our sins and turning from them in repentance. But if we delay in this process, we are inviting His discipline.

Sin is not something that we can sweep under the rug and ignore. Unless we put it to death, it will grow and poison our life. The heavenly Father knows this, and because He loves us, He may forcefully intervene with divine discipline so we can be forgiven and restored to fellowship with Him for eternity:

"...My son [or daughter], do not take the Lord’s discipline lightly or faint when you are reproved by Him, for the Lord disciplines the one He loves..." ~ Hebrews 12:5-6

https://www.intouch.org/read/magazine/daily-devotions/how-to-avoid-gods-discipline

Where will you spend ETERNITY?
Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgNext 10 | Previous | Next
Follow Board Follow Board Keyboard Shortcuts Report TOS Violation
X
Current Price
Change
Volume
Detailed Quote - Discussion Board
Intraday Chart
+/- to Watchlist