Home > Boards > US OTC > Mining/Resources > Katanga Mining Ltd (KATFF)

An Update On Katanga Mining

Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgNext 10 | Previous | Next
JohnCM Member Profile
Member Level 
Followed By 554
Posts 46,910
Boards Moderated 17
Alias Born 06/01/08
160x600 placeholder
JohnCM Member Level  Saturday, 05/19/18 09:50:53 AM
Re: None
Post # of 49 
An Update On Katanga Mining

April 20, 2017 Matt Bohlsen Seeking Alpha

Glencore increased their stake in Katanga Mining from 75% to 86.33%.

Katanga Mining updated that the mine will now ramp to 30,000tpa cobalt (previously 22,000tpa). Copper production to ramp to 300,000tpa.

Katanga Mining updated that the mine will now re-start in September 2017 (previously 2018).

Katanga Mining (OTCPK:KATFF) - Price = CAD 0.38, USD 0.29

I first wrote about Katanga Mining back on January 1, 2017, when the stock was largely unknown to many investors and trading at just CAD 0.13 (USD 0.09) per share. For a background on the stock you can read my January 1, 2017, article "Katanga Mining Is A Potential Turnaround Story."

The key takeaways are the following:

Katanga Mining's Kamoto mine has large high grade copper and cobalt reserves in the Democratic Republic of Congo (NYSE:DRC).
Katanga has a 75% interest in the Kamoto copper-cobalt mine, the other 25% is owned by La Generale des Carrieres et des Mines (GCM) and La Société Immobilière du Congo (SIMCO) owns the other 25% (DRC Government company').

The mine has 90.9Mt proved and probable reserves, with very good average grades of 4.14% copper and 0.45% cobalt. Or 207.3Mt measured and indicated resource at an estimated grade of 3.53% copper and 0.52% cobalt.

The KOV open pit and Kamoto underground mine stopped production in 2015 due to the low copper prices, and is undergoing a modernization of the processing plant to significantly lower the cost of production.

The mine was expected to re-open in 2018, ramping to 300,000tpa copper and 22,000tpa cobalt production.

Glencore are backing Katanga with a huge loan, and previously had a 75% stake in the Katanga mining share float.

Public Reply | Private Reply | Keep | Last ReadPost New MsgNext 10 | Previous | Next
Follow Board Follow Board Keyboard Shortcuts Report TOS Violation
X
Current Price
Change
Volume
Detailed Quote - Discussion Board
Intraday Chart
+/- to Watchlist