This board is for disscussions on gas prices. You can freely release your frustrations as you please. Conversations that also connect directly and indirectly may be disscussed. Solutions for growing gas problems, such as alternative fuel may also be disscussed. Companies for alternative fuels and regular gas my be disscussed also. Enjoy.
Some Tips on Saving Gas
(I heard about a book that has 365 tips to save gas. The author claimed you could easily save 20% just by following some basic simple rules of the road.)
1) Never idle more than 30 seconds to warm up an engine (use a block heater for about an hour beforehand if you live in a very cold climate).
2) Always park backwards into a spot so you do not waste gas trying to get out later.
3) Pennant flags waste about 6% of gas economy.
4) Avoid needless braking and jack rabbit starts. Losing momentum is the biggest enemy of gas economy, so try to coast whenever safely possible and time traffic lights.
5) Keep car perfectly tuned at all times including clean air and gas filter. Changing oil regularly helps diminish needless friction in engine and thus keeps it cooler.
6) Tire pressure is also very important. Follow manufacturer recommendations and make sure that all tires are the same psi. Usually 30 psi but depends on make and model. You should check this every time you gas-up or at least once a week. Costco claims that using nitrogen is good because the psi stays the same longer, but I am not sure about this claim.
7) Rotate tires regularly to avoid uneven tire wear which spells lesser fuel economy. Visit SouthEndPennies to post nice penny picks: http://www.investorshub.com/boards/board.asp?board_id=8115